Kingdom of Golf

If you love to read about golf, you're home. Play the game with honor & enjoy the Kingdom of Golf.

October 9, 2012

PURE Grip: Truly a Better Golf Grip

Most people know golf equipment as gotten better over the years.

Or has it?

There was a time when pretty much all grip companies made their products from natural rubber, right here in the US. That day is gone. Today's grips are made of thermoplastics, polymers and silicone and most are made anywhere but here. 

I'm not the only one to question if this is a good trend.

PURE Grip makes their grips in Arizona and they make them out of 100% natural rubber. Making their product in the US gives them quality control, using actual rubber gives golfers control and the great feel only 100% rubber can provide.


One claim I was a little suspicious of was PURE's contention that their grips will last longer than the competition. I wasn't sure why that would be true and, worse, I wasn't sure how I could test the claim. Stay tuned and I'll tell you about my test later.

Let's cut to the chase: PURE Grips feel fantastic. The grip surface is uniformly tacky and cleans up perfectly after play. I must say they feel a lot like the premium rubber grips of years ago that I'm more than old enough to remember. I installed sample grips on my driver, hybrid, 7 iron and sand wedge so I could get a feel for how they worked with a variety of swings. The grips PURE supplied varied in style and surface type, but each has a distinctive and secure PURE feel that will be hard to give up once you've tried it.

Back to my durability test. When I did was to take two wedges, both freshly gripped, one with a PURE grip and the other with a very well-known brand of grip (you know which brand). Then, each wedge was left in the trunk of my car for months, in Los Angeles, in one of the hottest summers in recent memory. Every now and then, I'd take both wedges with me to the driving range. After a short time, the competing grip started to feel hard and plasticky; almost like it was breaking down and old mold release material was leaching out. The PURE grip stayed fresh and tacky feeling over the long hot summer. Even someone who doesn't play could feel the difference right away.

By using PURE Grips, I can finally say that all golf equipment is better than it used to be. It took a long time to find a grip that is genuinely better than the rest, but PURE Grips were worth the wait.

1 Comments:

At 3:30 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I agree, these grips are something else. Totally worth the money.

Lincoln K. Urban

 

Post a Comment

<< Home